The Tulsa Area United Way was founded in 1924 as the Tulsa Community Fund by a group of local businessmen.
Chartering the Fund were 11 health and human service organizations. Their inaugural campaign lasted only five days and the very first goal of $238,895 was exceeded by $9,000.
In 1932, Waite Phillips, a prominent Tulsa businessman and one of the largest contributors to the Tulsa Community Fund, donated a three-story building at 6th street and Cheyenne Ave. in downtown Tulsa.
This location remained the TAUW headquarters until 1970 when the United Way moved to its current location at 1430 S. Boulder Ave.
Despite the difficulties and challenges of the Depression and World War II, the Tulsa Community Fund continued to meet the increasing needs of area residents through its annual campaigns.
During World War II, the Fund combined with the National War Fund and United War Chest of Oklahoma to raise money to support 22 local agencies, as well as 22 organizations designed for international relief. The organization's name was changed to Tulsa War Chest during this period.
After the war, the Tulsa War Chest became the Tulsa Community Chest to reflect a broader mission.
The most recent name change came in 1974 when the current Tulsa Area United Way was introduced.
Today, TAUW works to strengthen the three building blocks to a better life: education, financial stability, and health and safety.
Since 1924, TAUW has raised and invested over $774 million to assist the lives of people in need in Creek, Okmulgee, Osage, Rogers, Wagoner and Tulsa counties.