MAJOR GIFTS DIRECTOR
Reports to: Chief Resource Development Officer
The high level:
The Major Gifts Director provides leadership to identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit, and steward major donors, uniting people and resources to improve lives and build a stronger community. The position collaborates closely across Tulsa Area United Way (TAUW) departments to grow and lead TAUW’s major gifts program. The Major Gifts Director builds meaningful donor relationships and serves to help donors understand how their investments can drive positive community change.
What you'll do:
Directly manages the major gift program, stewarding and soliciting an assigned and qualified group of donors, developing person-to-person relationships.
- Oversees individual and family major gifts, Planned Giving and Endowment operations.
- In conjunction with the Donor Stewardship Director, manages budgeting, gift processing, and record keeping for major gifts.
- Develops strategies to deepen relationships with major donors of our Alexis de’ Tocqueville Society (ADT) donors at $10,000+
- Works in partnership with other staff who support Foundations giving, as many of the gifts overlap with AdT.
- Ensures accurate tracking of contact actions and individual donor strategic progress in database
- Researches, cultivates and qualifies new donors.
- Collaborates closely throughout Tulsa Area United Way (TAUW), including the Office of the President, Resource Development, Community Investments, Finance, IT, Marketing and Volunteer Experiences Departments to align the major gift program with the TAUW growth strategy.
- Shares TAUW strategy, donor opportunities, and outcomes to create individualized and persuasive proposals and donor understanding of potential impact/outcomes.
- Works with TAUW staff to attain team, departmental, organizational and community goals.
- Other duties as assigned.
You’ll be successful in this role if you:
- Have experience in not-for-profit fundraising and/or a combination of private endowment, and/or University Alumni donor management.
- Possess personal leadership with strong priority management and self-motivation
- Take initiative to solve problems creatively and approach your work with critical thinking, sound judgment, adaptability, flexibility, and responsiveness
- Have experience with volunteer engagement and management
- Are a strong team player, collaborating, sharing credit and taking responsibility for actions
- Possess the ability to relate and communicate quickly and effectively to diverse donors, volunteers, community members, corporate and governmental leaders
- Have strong learning agility, active listening skills, interpersonal/cultural sensitivity, sound judgment, strong persuasive, written, and oral/presentation skills
- Apply a superior attention to detail and documentation
- Demonstrate the highest degree of professional and ethical standards, emotional intelligence, and decision-making skills
- Have demonstrated success and creativity in developing successful multiple philanthropic and/or business lines and donor/client stewardship
- Demonstrate enthusiasm for and experience in adaptive change management
- Are service-oriented with an ethos of “no job too big; no job too small”
- Manage ambiguity with innovation and flexibility
- Navigate your work with a well-honed balance of confidence and humility
Other Business Skills and Position Requirements
- Ability to:
- organize, plan and manage multiple tasks, projects and events simultaneously; meet
deadlines; and work under pressure
- interpret and present research and sensitive financial information
- analyze multi-faceted challenges and develop and implement creative solutions
- develop and execute multi-year and donor-focused strategic fundraising plans
- Ability to understand, interpret and present statistical and financial data
- MS Office applications Proficiency within an MS Windows Operating System (particularly in
- Experience with internet-based research and database management (ability to learn new
software as required by job)
- Minimum education level of a Bachelor's degree (B.A. or B.S.) from four-year college or university
To apply submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.