MARKETING SPECIALIST (EVENTS FOCUS)
ROLE OF THE MARKETING SPECIALIST (EVENTS FOCUS)
The TAUW Marketing Specialist (Events Focus) serves as a team member in the Marketing/Volunteer Department and supports the fundraising, community investments, volunteer engagement and executive functions of the organization.
This role is responsible for planning the logistics of an event from concept to completion and assisting with securing sponsorships to cover event costs. TAUW hosts many events each month as part of its overall marketing and engagement strategy. The role will work closely with members of the Marketing and Volunteer team to plan events that recognize our donors and supporters, energize workplace campaigns and raise the visibility of TAUW in the community.
Successful outcomes will lead to increased awareness and support for the Tulsa Area United Way’s mission, and, ultimately, reaching the annual campaign goal.
Event Planning and Production
- Develop memorable and engaging events by incorporating a variety of multi-media and interactive elements into the programming.
- Make site visits and conduct research to determine event feasibility and execution.
- Book venues and schedule speakers.
- Supervise and coordinate with event contractors/vendors to meet deadlines.
- Manage all event operations (preparing venue, coordinating invitations, ordering food, drinks, etc.) and ensure appropriate production design to meet quality and brand expectations.
- Propose new ideas to improve the event planning and implementation process; stay current on best practices and trends in event production and guest experience through ongoing training and conferences.
- Negotiate and assess bids from vendors and make recommendations to Chief Marketing Officer.
- Keep track of budgeting details.
- Submit invoices for payment.
- Manage guest lists, floor plans, seating charts and timelines.
- Communicate with event participants, e.g. special guests, emcees, talent, on logistics prior to events.
- Coordinate requests for accommodations and dietary restrictions.
- Develop vendor management process across the organization to streamline procurement of facilities, catering and equipment for events.
- Ensure project deadlines are met by communicating tasks and deadlines to staff members.
- Evaluate event’s success and submit reports.
- Generate social media posts and respond to comments to boost event engagement.
- Produce photos and short videos of events and activities to publish online and for social media.
- Work with Chief Marketing Officer to develop social media strategies and promotional plans that amplify our messages.
- Collaborate with Resource Development team to identify sponsorship prospects for securing funds that offset event costs.
- Cultivate community support (especially in-kind contributions) by developing partnerships with businesses, government, nonprofit organizations, civic groups, etc.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, business, hospitality or related field preferred with three to four years of successful experience in special events, marketing and/or project management.
- Spanish language skills are highly desired in the ideal candidate.
Job Skills and Abilities
- Skill in conceptualizing event ideas and organizing the people, places and things needed to produce events.
- Ability to think creatively and communicate effectively with team members.
- Ability to work as a self-starter and discern work priorities, show close attention to details and meet deadlines with little supervision.
- Ability to use interpersonal communications skills to effectively work with staff throughout the organization and contribute to a positive work culture.
- Proficiency with social media platforms and management tools. Experience with Sprout Social, Hootsuite or similar programs a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs.
- Proficiency in capturing videos and photographs.
- Day-to-day work will be conducted in an office setting.
- TAUW hosts multiple events throughout the year which are held in both indoor and outdoor locations.
- Working occasional evening and weekend hours is necessary due to after-hours events.
- Interactions beyond staff include communications with volunteers, donors, agency directors, board and cabinet members and the general public.
To apply submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org